Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Long weekend in the British Virgin Islands

Well I've just had my first long weekend out here in the BVI, and also the first weekend when I haven't been running around doing administrative things all weekend.

Friday ended with a few drinks and some grub at The Dove - a popular ex-pat hangout which has a restaurant and bar. I had a rather good take on the old classic of macaroni cheese. This one had truffle oil, gruyere cheese, crispy proscuitto and sun dried tomato paste on it! Managed to get a decent night on Friday though - was in bed by about 10:30, and then had an early start.

Saturday I drove over to Nanny Cay on the South-West side of Tortola and got on a motorboat with some friends I had met the previous week at a cricket match who had invited me out. There were 4 boatloads of people who were out for the day, so there were lots of people to meet. First stop was Sandy Spit, a small island just off the coast of Jost van Dyke, then after a nice swim around there we headed over to the Soggy Dollar bar on Jost itself.

The Soggy Dollar bar is named so because there is no dock in the bay, so you have to put your money in your swimsuit and jump in to swim to the shore. Hence your dollars are soggy...
Had a nice meal there and enjoyed the beach and soaking up the sun.

Sunday I got up at about 7 am to go and play basketball with some people at 8:30 near the (seldom used) racetrack. We played for about 2 hours (in the rather hot sun), and then went for some beers and lunch.

Monday was a bit more lazy, and in the mid-afternoon I drove over to Smugglers' Cove (pretty much the farthest point on the island away from my apartment!) and spent the afternoon on the beach and doing some snorkelling.

All in all a pretty nice way to spend a long weekend!

Ken




Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home